The Buzz about Balayage
We get a lot of questions about balayage. What is it? Why is it different from foils? Is it the same thing as highlights? Is balayage only certain colors? Balayage is a French word meaning “to sweep” and basically means in this context to paint hair. This technique has recently spread like wild fire for a few reasons; low maintenance, soft transition, wide range of looks.
The Main Difference Between Foils and Balayage
- Balayage starts out thinner at the top and gets thicker as it goes to the end vs foils where they are the same width from top to bottom.
- Balayage generally needs retouched in 3- 5 months, foils need retouched in 4-6 weeks.
- Balayage can be done with a color family- starting darker going to lighter vs. foiling is one color roots to ends.
- Balayage and foils are techniques and can be used to add lighter pieces or darker pieces (highlights/lowlights).
- Balyage can start anywhere on the hair shaft and is traditionally rooty vs. foils that always start at the root.
Still not Sure?…… Call us and schedule a complimentary consultation 203-907-0434